Monday 7 December 2015

Charity Fatigue and The Need To Nap


I have charity fatigue.

Everywhere I turn people are asking for sponsorship, donations, food banks, clothing for migrants, Pat Dogs, home help animals, animal shelters, children’s charities, overseas donkey sanctuaries, water aid, homeless shelters, hospices…

I don’t agree with all of the causes but know that other people feel passionate about things close to their heart so I try to respect their personally held views.

I want to help them all – apart from the animal ones, unaffordable animals living in the home have no place in society and should be put down if a suitable home can’t be quickly found – but I can’t.

It’s too much.

I can’t manage it.

At the weekend, Tesco added 30% to the food bank effort collected that day, kind of like a Food Gift Aid, so we were able to donate a couple of bits.

Seeing people in hard times makes me physically tired.

I want people to have all they need and some of what they want.

I don’t believe that “if we all chip in, it’ll get the job done faster”, I just don’t.

So, I have a dilemma.

How do I politely decline?

I’ve never taken rejection well and am not fond of rejecting others.

I gotta get me a tougher skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment