Monday 4 April 2016

Poor people are losers, apparently.

I am struggling with the zeitgeist doing the rounds right now that poor people are losers. I have found myself feeling bad, embarrassed, ashamed, a loser. Mr Drumpf had me, against my better judgement, second guessing all my choices and feeling bad. 


I have never been $7Billion in debt.
I have never blatantly lied to everyone within the sound of my voice. 
I have never (knock on wood) been unable to provide a stable home for me and my people, yet I have experienced a period of feeling stupid.


I could give a timeline on why the choices made were correct and the best option at the time.
I could give a breakdown on how I am in the first generation in my family who had some choice available to them.
I could point out that statistically, the worlds entrepreneurs are lucky to have people to bail them out and pay the rent and groceries while they get going. 
I could explain how I am teaching the next generation to make more profitable choices at an earlier age.
I could give a breakdown how building a secure future costs £GBP now.
I am tired of explaining myself and I still feel stupid.


What I do have going for me is a work ethic to be admired, a devotion to strength and honesty and kindness, a responsibility to provide for my people, a serious but amused personality and a long term view of the big picture.


It is difficult to withstand the onslaught of unkind words from the media and raised eyebrows from people face to face who just don't get that you cannot buy that widget to fix the thingybob because it's not in the budget this month, it is difficult to keep the big picture in mind, and it is difficult getting up every day and performing in a job that I do well but might not be my eternal passion.   But difficulty is my fodder, it holds no fear, I'll overcome this period and I'll have great stories after the fact.  I just have to keep the faith in the mean time.


Success to me is no debt, savings in the bank and an income sufficient to have some fun without worrying about offsetting against the grocery budget.  I have a 6 year plan, and we may get there sooner rather than later or it may take a little longer than anticipated but I know my destination and have a roadmap.  One day I'll be able to kit out my house with nice new furniture, perhaps even furniture that goes well together, I'll be able to book a holiday to somewhere I fancy going rather than the cheapest option in a non war torn region, I'll be able to help those coming through a similar path to ours.  I can see the day in my mind, and I have an amazing track record of making the impossible come true.  Watch this slow-motion space.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment