Tuesday 17 November 2015

Spending My Imaginary EuroMillions Lotto Win


It’s a Euro Lotto roll over this week, something in the region of £101 million Jackpot prize fund.
Someone on £10 per hour would have to work 10,100,000 hours to make that, that’s over 10 million hours.
My shonky maths estimates that to be 5,372 years at work, based on a 40 hour work week, with 47 weeks in the office per year.
5300 whole lifetimes of cash, moolah, dosh, not taking in to account the age of childhood or retirement.
I am sitting here like Homer dreaming of doughnuts – aaaahhhggggghhhh. 

We got to chit chatting about what we would do with such vast sums of cash.

In the past, people have told me that they would pay to have all their details erased from all records and go “off grid” in luxury for the ultimate privacy.
Bit extreme, perhaps.

Others have said that they would buy their loved ones cars, pay off their loved ones mortgages, take everyone on an all expenses holiday to somewhere fancy.

Feels a bit too much like making family and friendship a transaction, where the bought off person feels beholden to the rich person, no longer equals. I can foresee problems with this method.


Thinking about these riches that I haven’t earned is starting to make me appreciate the dilemma of Bill Gates and all the other folks who have amassed gargantuan sums. 

“Oooh, they’ve changed, they never come to the old neighbourhood anymore!”…

Ya know, is it because you kept telling them that they’ve changed when really they had the same ethics and morality and hopes and dreams as they did when you were all kids hanging out and riding bicycles together?  Who really changed their attitude and demeanour toward the now wealthy friend? 

Are you wondering what my solution would be?
I know I am!
So far, and this is a work in progress,

  • tick the Stay Anonymous button
  • buy a little bit better of a car and just say you got a good finance deal
  • and put myself on a humble personal budget but knowing I was debt free
  • I’d stay at work until the plan was in place
Since I was a little girl in Primary School, it has irked me that there is a homelessness problem.  Walking through London, my home city, as a kiddo always had the old cogs whirring. 
If I were to make my millions, on a Lotto I do not play, my heart’s desire is this:

  1. Buy housing, do them up simply and recommission them
  2. Make it a great environment with greenery, local services, access to the town and amenities
  3. Start housing the homeless that wanted to, in these recommissioned place
On site, and full time, we would employ the following:
  1. a Doctor to address the physical health needs of people leaving the streets
  2. a social co-ordinator to address any anti-social behaviour issues and mediate to more acceptable conduct
  3. psychiatric help to meet any transitional needs and help with whatever got them out there in the first place
  4. a support worker service to help those that need and choose it learn to budget and plan ahead
  5. an employment agency, specifically tasked with finding legal, appropriately paid work for those returning to mainstream society


Can you imagine a world where we sought out those who’d got themselves in a pickle and helped them get back on their feet?

It is my Nirvana.
Then I would take a holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment