Tuesday 16 August 2016

Honesty and The Landmark Forum


I grimaced today as I provided information requested by the court on a personal matter.

I didn’t want to be seen as “that awful woman” or selfish.

I wanted to people-please and make everyone like me by being overly generous.

But I checked myself, and recognised what was happening, reviewed whether being overly generous would be truthful and came to a decision.

I decided to stick with honesty and modest figures when assessing another person’s need and requirement.

It hurt, it made me anxious, I didn’t want people to hate me.

I did it anyway, hit send and I grimaced.

 

A few minutes later I received a correspondence back, so I breathed a little and opened the email.

I expected to be criticized but instead read from my solicitor….

 

“Thank you, Cheryl.  That’s perfect.”

 

There’s a lesson there somewhere.

Next time I’ll try to remember that as long as I am trying to review facts, stick to “what happened” and not “what did I make that mean?” (Thank you, Landmark Forum, from an alumni class of ’98 student) (http://www.landmarkworldwide.com)

and was willing to stand and say “yes, this is my honest assessment of the situation”, it is possible that things will not be as fraught as I had feared them to be.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment