Thursday 25 February 2016

Today I put down roots, which is a good thing.

Today I put down roots and bought a filing cabinet.
A cute thing, adorable in fact, which locks and it petite and fits in the space I have in mind.
Isn't it preeeettttyyyyyy.
 
We move house every couple of years and furniture is so heavy.
Today I realised I hire people to move house for me.
My mind moved from fear about having to do it myself again, to comfort that it’s ok and I don’t have to anymore.
 
I’ve been avoiding buying this filing cabinet for 13 years because I genuinely have a personal paperwork phobia.
Business paperwork is easy peasy and an absolute pleasure.  Weird, eh.
 
Historically my paperwork system was a mess, all over the house in every drawer and box.  I had no system, I had no peace of mind on the subject, needing to find something was a mammoth task.  In recent years I’ve been using a holdall as a filing cabinet, a really big holdall, because it is squishy and on wheels so is portable.  I have whittled down the process of moving correspondence from the letterbox to “the system”.
 
All bills are scheduled immediately and filed away, the things that I can’t face go in to the box, which is then hidden in the cabinet, which is behind the sofa, and things I really can’t face, which are scary, go behind the mirror for a couple of days until I pluck up the courage to face the contents, normally after letting out some kind of primeval yell about how unfair everything is.
 
But today I said to myself, “I don’t move myself anymore, the movers move me and they are strong, so they won’t mind moving a filing cabinet, so decision made”.
 
The duffle bag has been a faithful friend, loyal, on hand, quite organised, but I can do better, and from this Saturday, I shall.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment